Yet Another Relationship?

I bonded with Loki. 

He was the reason I got out of bed every morning. He was my reason for functioning during the day when BG was at work. We had conversations. And Loki understood.  

Then BG mentioned getting another dog. A companion for Loki. I resisted and told him that I could NEVER love a dog as much as I did Loki. And I couldn’t imagine bringing a new dog into the house who would be even HALF as good as he was. Loki was housebroken, gentle, obeyed readily, and a great protector. 

But, during the days while I was busy with chores or writing, he’d usually lay at my feet or by the front door. Unless we went on a dog-walk, all of Loki’s energy during the day consisted of frantically barking at the Mailman, other delivery trucks that passed by, and the people he could see through the glass front door. Loki had lived with other dogs on and off during his five years with BG. Would another dog make him more active at home? Would he enjoy a canine companion? Would he share his toys, and possible his dog-beds?  I wondered if there was a void in his life that a playmate could fill.  Even though Loki had two humans in his daily life, I couldn’t shake the feeling that BG might be right about adding to our family.

I kept my thoughts private, though, as we discussed it off and on.

I never relented. Until. 


I was scrolling through FB one morning, and I saw a post by BG’s friend, John. It was of a Weimaraner. She was in a shelter, and no one had tried to adopt her. She had sad eyes and was a beautiful girl. But most of all, she needed her own people. That tugged at my heart. My mind returned to all of the reasons I thought a partner would be right for Loki. 

Throughout the day, she stayed on my mind, and when BG got home, I showed him the post.

He laughed. Then he said that he saw the post earlier and had thought about adopting the dog, but he knew I wasn’t interested. I was shocked that I was interested in adding another dog to the household and the fact that we had the same thoughts about that dog gave me pause.

We decided to apply to adopt her. I pulled up the application for GRRAND (Golden Retriever Rescue & Adoption of Needy Dogs). The process was arduous at best. We had to supply three references, allow them to interview our vet, have phone interviews, and then permit them to do a home visit and in-person interview with us both. 

We knew the lengthy process was in place to ensure the dog’s best placement, so we braced ourselves to get through it all. I kept talking to Loki and telling him that he might get a new sister, and his “world was about to be rocked!”

We were immediately contacted and started the process of answering questions. Each of the phone chats lasted 30 minutes or more. They called every one of our references, and the vet.

Our home visit was that Thursday. We had to be outside and wearing the dreaded masks. So, we did. 

The GRRAND lady came, walked our back yard, and chatted with us for about an hour. She told us she would write up a recommendation that night, and we’d be at the top of the list.

The process, to us, seemed as if we wanted to adopt a human child.


The next day I got a call. 

The original dog we’d inquired about, Daffodil, had “parents” waiting to adopt her. The other dog that they found suitable for us also had people on the list to take her. 


BG continued to look for dogs. Since Loki has some Pitt Bull in him, we looked at Pitt mixes at MisPitts and Friends Rescue. The web site application listed the same, exact procedure that we’d just gone through. 

BG said “F*** it. We’ll go to the pound.”  


That Friday, I looked for animal shelters in our area who were open and still allowed clients to meet dogs. Saturday morning, after his sausage gravy and biscuits breakfast, BG, again, mentioned that he wanted to look for a dog. I gave him my search results, and he decided we should take Loki to the Animal House Adoption Center to find a sibling.


When we left the house with Loki, it was very cloudy, but some sun still shined through. I got Loki in the back seat of the “green car,” a Park Avenue with leather seats, and we all settled in for the 40-minute ride, as Loki stuck his head out of the half-open window.


Upon arrival, we stood outside the door with our masks on as Loki sat and patiently waited. Ultimately, we got an application to complete. We went back to the car, and I filled it in. Then we headed back to the door, masked, and waited for someone to take it. When the worker finally accepted it, she told us that the wait time would be approximately two hours. Now what?? 


We got back in the car with Loki. We listened to a podcast to pass the time. After two hours, I was stir crazy—and Loki, in the back seat, was not having it anymore.


We went outside, and I took Loki on a walk. We got back and were STILL waiting. Honestly, I just wanted to pack it up and go home. But BG was diligent. He wanted to wait. So, we did.


We ended up in the car again due to the heat. Sweet Air Conditioning is my BFF in the summer! BG had to use the restroom, so he began frantically calling the numbers for Animal House Adoption Center. Every time they went to a voice mail. He persevered. In my estimation, he made at least ten calls at that time.

Then my phone rang. It was the Animal House Adoption Center people, and after over four hours of waiting, it was finally our turn. 

In the paperwork we’d filled out, we said that we were probably looking for an adult female who would be a great companion for Loki.    


We proceeded inside with Loki. None of us had any idea of what to expect.


Published by Kjohnson

I'm a retired teacher and writer. I love to cook, bake, remodel, and play with my soulful dogs, Loki and Livi

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: